Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Squeaky Clean (for a year?!)

      As we're in a lull between holidays (and because this post had to be simple & quick due to an unexpected night at work) I thought I would post about laundry detergent; that's right, laundry detergent. It doesn't get much more exciting than this, folks. After a friend made her own laundry detergent & gave me a sample, I procrastinated about 3 months and then looked into making my own.
      The sample I received was a liquid. If you prefer a liquid detergent keep scrolling; I posted it too, but be warned...it's messy. Keep in mind you have to store the detergent once you make it & a powder can be stored easily in a bucket with a lid or plastic/tupperware container. Liquid, however, is a little more difficult to store.  Either way, both detergents result in clean (and cheaper to keep clean) clothes.
 
The ingredients you'll need are pictured above.
1 (4lb 12oz) box of Borax
1 (3lb 7oz) box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 (3lb) container of OxiClean
2 (14.1oz) bars of Zote soap
1 (4lb) box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1 (55oz) bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softner (fabric softener is optional but recommended)
 
You'll find all of the ingredients on the detergent aisle with the exception of the baking soda; you'll find it on the baking aisle. When I made my batch, I was unable to find Zote soap as the recipe calls for. Any brand of laundry soap will do.
 
     After you've gathered your ingredients (which should only set you back around $30), you'll need a 5 gallon bucket or medium sized tupperware plastic storage container. The hardest & most time consuming part of this recipe is grating the soap. Just like you would cheese, you'll need to grate the bars of soap using the fine side of the grater.
     Now, simply mix all of your ingredients together and you're done! The tupperware container works best here because after you layer the ingredients together in the container you'll need some space to stir & ensure the detergent is mixed well.
     Because the recipe only calls for 1-2 Tbsp per load (depending on size) this $30 batch of detergent will last a year! If you're like me (a skeptic) 1-2 Tbsp doesn't feel like enough detergent when I've gotten used to the monster sized scoop that comes in the Tide box. I probably use more like 2-4 Tbsp per load, but even at that rate I've been using my batch for 3 months & have barely made a dent (I'm up to 70 loads so far). My clothes are just as clean as when I washed (& spent more money on) the name brand detergents, and they smell just as good too.
 
     If your heart is set on homemade liquid detergent click the link below for the recipe (sorry, but either way you have the grate the soap).
 
Happy washing! Your clothes (and your wallet) will thank you :)

     

No comments:

Post a Comment